Don't use the A/C!

chillen

Every now and then its a nice day, but not always and since I have a black interior I do sometimes end up kicking the A/C on. When I do not need it though, I do not use it. I have windows, I use them, but it bugs me when some people refuse to ever turn the A/C off.

Weezer

Actually, when you have the windows open and the A/C off in today's cars it creates so much drag that you use more gas with the windows open. I still enjoy it sometimes but contrary to what you would believe, the gas usage is down with windows up and A/C on.

Miata_Matyr

I don't really use my a/c either. I went to use it recently and it wasn't getting very cold so I took it to the a/c guys and they said if you don't use it regularly then all the gas slowly seeps out and you need to regas it again. Anyways, $110 later I now have to use my air con every few weeks.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer the windows open, but the wife likes the a/c. Unless I'm stuck in traffic I do not use the a/c. Sometimes it gives me a headache.

Mustang37

I open my windows first too. If it's smoking hot outside I will put the A/C on and roll up the windows. I do prefer the fresh air though over the A/C air. It's better on the gas mileage too.

69Mustang

I live in GA and it is already in the high 80's here. I haven't been running the A/C in the mornings but about noon it starts getting muggy and so I turn it on from then on till about 6pm. In the summer it stays on.

chevygirl

windows!

I have an older car (1989), so the A/C is a little shaky. Thus, I prefer windows. I realize they create some drag, and I can definitely feel some pull when I drive on the freeway, but I like fresh air. A/C, and especially heat, give me headaches sometimes too.

AlabamaAllen

Any help I can get to increase the MPG thrills me. I like the fresh air but I mostly travel on interstate highways so I would be decreasing my MPG just to get the fresh air I could get if I went for a walk, which I do daily.

Slowpoke

That is exactly true, Allen and Jason. DO NOT open the windows if you want to save on gas. That seems kinda ironic but it is true.

mobilityuser4

I was just told my brake problem was due to the AC. Apparently its low on charge and it makes the compressor work harder which undermines the hydraulics that feed the brakes. I turn off the AC and brakes work fine. Turn it on, I fear for my life.

sparky

I wouldn't have thought opening the windows would have that much of a bearing on fuel consumption. I would be looking at tyre pressures along with not using the AC.

ginger

Here is what you do to save on gas for short trips. And don't laugh! You freeze 1 gallon jugs and get urself a cheap portable fan. Air out the vehicle before you leave put 2 or 3 of the frozen gallons near you In a paper back and use a fan to draw the now colder air out twoards you. Doesn't work perfect. Makes a bit of a mess if it melts. But hey You can save on gas and not be as hot. Plus when the water starts to melt you can drink it!

chillen

Today I actually had to turn the heat on it was so chilly this morning and then the rain started to come down so then went the defrost mode to keep the windshield clear. I have no idea if its global warming or not but the weather sure is funky lately.

CharlieBrown

I have to have my air conditioning! I can do without a lot of stuff (power windows, power mirrors, automatic tranny, etc.), but I can't do without air conditioning. It just gets too hot here in the south to not have air conditioning.

I use the a/c when the situation become worst for me to survive against the heat, normally i prefer the windows open to take the fresh air.

Last edited:

Max

I don't always need the air conditioning, but I do like to bring in fresh air from the vent rather than open the windows. Opening the windows seems to allow a lot of dust and dirt in.

Donald

I agree with Max on this. I don't use A/C much, but I do usually use fresh air from the vents. In addition to the reason Max gave, I find it's too loud sometimes to have the windows open. I like my private space to relax without the outside noise.

vroombaby

The only time the windows can be open for me is if the pollen count is down and its not a long trip. I know about the drag all too well and with the gas prices now there is no way I would chance it.

Craig

How funny that my AC use might bother someone else. Either way I use it almost everyday. I'm not suffering through 100 degree days when I have the option of a working AC.